Auckland



We had glorious* weather on our trip to Auckland. BM was there for a conference and as I knew I had to go up for meetings in the same month, we managed to coincide and then stay an extra day on our own dime!

We went for a boat trip after work on Friday to Waiheke Island.  Unfortunately, while being a lovely location, we had a bad experience at one of the restaurants.  One of my meetings was with a colleague who lives on Waiheke Island and we bumped into her on the ferry.  She recommended Cable Bay as a restaurant if we were looking for a treat!  BM and I got a taxi to the vineyard and were pleasantly surprized by the view and fantastic sculpture garden outside.  While BM decided on his wine selection in the bar as the restaurant wasn't yet open - I walked over to see if I could make a booking.  Only to be told they were booked out.

Understandably disappointed we phoned around and booked dinner in another restaurant and then booked another taxi back to the main village once we had finished our drinks and had taken in the spectacular view.  On the way out about an hour later, the restaurant was VERY empty.  Mulling it over in the taxi on the way to the other restaurant, I decided to phone to enquire if a booking was available.  Strangely enough - it was and pretty much at any of the three times we cared to mention on the phone.

Now, I'm pretty sure it was a reflection on the way I was dressed (leather jandles/flip flops), a black top and a skirt with leggings but I would have left Waiheke Island a lot happier if they had just told me there was a dress code and given that I actually had work shoes in my bag but was walking around after finishing my meetings, I would have been happy to change.  It left a very sour taste in my mouth for the place and I wanted to share.  

The rest of our trip was fun and we stayed in a hotel near Shortland Street of Kiwi dramatic fame.  Strangely Shortland Street doesn't even have a hospital!


Some amazing trees in a park behind the Shortland Street sign.


A beautiful building.




And lunch! :)  All in all a nice trip.






Of course, by glorious, I mean too hot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The great WSBN sewing room tour

Siding stories