Posts

Showing posts from 2017

Woolly blankets

Image
After finishing a mammoth blanket last year and the mid sized blanket in that post too, I still had some left over wool I needed to use up.  I used a hexagon pattern with a bubble stitch and mixed up the colours on most of the hexs.  Really pleased with how it turned out but the sewing in of the ends was an absolute pain.  




It felt immensely satistfying to finish off the balls.

Although I did end up with quite a few pink ones so have put those aside with some other wool for a currently on the hook blanket make. 


The bubble stitch is fun - I don't think the photos do it justice as the 3D element is a nice addition.  Below is the back- hopefully you can see the difference.

I also finished a buggy blanket for our daughter just before she was born (and I do mean just before as I was finishing it hooking and sewing in ends at the start of labour! Thankfully it was finished in time and kept her toasty on the way home from the hospital).

I used Attic 24's ripple pattern here and som…

Quilting with Dr Suess

Image
Over the years I've purchased quite a bit of quilting fabric.  I think every new sewist does.  The prints are great.  But then I slowly realised that their not great for clothing in terms of drape or the size of the print is a bit strange for clothing too.  So in a completely unsurprizing turn of events, I've started to destash my quilting fabrics by making quilts - strange, no?

I'm rather pleased with my straight line sewing in this instance (I have high asprirations! But seriously most of those squares lined up at the corners - Woohoo!  That's a win in my book)


The Dr Suess fabric was purchased when a quilting shop in marsden village went out of business. So it's been sitting around for a while.

I hand tied the quilt to sew it to the backing with white wool. The backing (and batting) is orange fleece I bought for outdoor blankets at our wedding. Yes, I've stock piled those too!


Bound in white with some left over scraps for interest. I purchased the white and y…

Sorting out and experimenting

Image
I'm moving my sewing room into our guest room so our daughter has her own room. This week has been a lot of sorting but I found a little time to experiment with wrapping this evening. Made the sorting so much more enjoyable!

It's been a while

Image
My lovely daughter arrived earlier this year and we're so thrilled to get to know her more and more. She's a good 'un and unsurprisingly the center of our world since then.

I have however managed to make a few bits and pieces  in the meantime but posting hasn't been keeping up!  I found a little time today to make a spare change mat so we can deep clean our other one.

Fox waterproof fabric on one side (from my visit to downtown LA last year) and a fat quarter and some spare orange on the other. It's padded with an old hand towel. 

I roughly measured the towel. Then sewed three of the four sides before turning the right way around and finished with a strip of the fat quarter. I've plans to make another 'proper' one with real padding that folds up and also stores the nappies etc. but there's a few more things in my queue first!

baby cardis (or destashing the stash)

Image
This little cutie is a cotton crochet cardi using Emmy's Baby Cardigan on ravelry.  Its a relatively quick make and looks great!  I used Rowan mercerised cotton (siena 4 ply) I bought in a market in Melbourne early last year and a 4mm hook.  Down to only two stash yarn projects and feeling mighty pleased with myself.  Love the colour and looking forward to gifting this to some new addition soon.  And just to remind myself here are the yarn care instructions: machine wash, warm, gentle (40 degrees), iron medium heat, do not tumble dry and dry flat in the shade!



Some things just have to come home with me

Image
Oophs.  On my drive back to Wellington from Taupo this December I coincided with Levana's Saturday openning and happened (perchance) to buy a lovely range of knit fabrics.  The yellow and green are destined for summer tops, the black and white for sleeves on a cardi and the yellow for comfy underwear.  I best follow through, eh? :)


I also recently purchased this cute first aid box from storage box in Wellington.  I really shouldn't like an inanimate object this much.

A Sewing Round up to start the year

Image
I haven't been clothes sewing much over the last while as my body was rapidly changing shape and I wasn't feeling the best.  We're expecting an addition to our family at the end of February and unfortunately I seem to be one of those pregnant women who stay sick for all three trimesters (though it is a LOT better and I can function at certain times of the day now!).
I made three tops for my maternity wardrobe - two are great and one I'm just not sold on.  All three are Cashmerette patterns (two Springfield tops and one Appleton dress turned wrap top).  I love the Cashmerette patterns for their cup sizes so the changes I have to make to the pattern are a lot more reserved than my usual hatchet jobs.  

Blue merino from Levana - fit is good for my expanding belly (I deliberately cut it longer in the front on both sides) and after the last attempt, I also added more to the width of each of the front panels as I wanted to reduce the likelihood of it blowing open in the Wel…